Renaissance 3 Architects Pittsburgh, PA March 2015 - Present
- Architectural Intern
Bunker Projects Pittsburgh, PA Jan 2015 - Present
- Five-month long artist residency.
Kelly/Maiello Architects and Planners Philadelphia, PA Apr 2014 - Dec 2014
- Architectural Intern:
- Renovation of Readiness Center on Drexel University campus:
- Surveyed and documented entire building including plans, sections, elevations, schedules.
- Worked on design to bring building up to code and determined areas in need of remediation.
Duplex Architekten Zürich, Switzerland Aug. 2013 - Mar. 2014
- Architecutral Intern:
- Siedlung Buchegg:
- Developed design and contsruction drawings for 9 stairwells.
- Created design for kitchen, bathroom, and kitchen plans.
- Habitat Basel Competition:
- Created renderings for final submission.
- Worked on design of an interior facade for student housing.
- Zusammenhalt (ZAHW) Competition
- Worked to construct two models and model photos for final submission of housing competition.
Kieran Timberlake Associates Philadelphia, PA June 2012 - Sept. 2012
- Harvard dormitory restorations: Old Quincy House and Mckinlock Hall
- Created weekly client presentations and renderings for design development and construction phases.
- Worked on elevations, plans, and perspectives in Revit.
- Researched materials and their economic and environmental feasibility.
Imagine: Millvale Community Library Moss Mural Pittsburgh, PA 2013
- Created a living moss-mural for the Millvale community library under the guidance of JoAnna Commandaros.
- Produced scaled design for the library, conducted research of moss growth, and constructed metal letters.
Mural Arts Program Philadelphia, PA Summer 2010
- Assisted artists Erick Okdeh and Kein Ngyuen in production of Philadelphia City Hall courtyard mural.
- Mixed colors, prepped and painted panels for installation.
- Fluent in English
- Fluent in German
- Proficient in Spanish
- After Effects
Exhibitions / Honors
re-Production (Bunker Projects) Pittsburgh, PA 2015
- Solo-Exhibition at Bunker Projects in Pittsburgh, PA. Sculptural, Audio, and Digital works were featured.
Wet and Bound Together (Runaway Studios) Pittsburgh, PA 2015
- Solo-Exhibition at Runaway Studios in Pittsburgh, PA. Sculptural, Audio, and Digital works were featured.
Residual Conditions (UnSmoke Systems Artspace) Braddock, PA 2013
- Self-curated group show (featuring Gianna Paniagua and Christopher Cassady). Sculptural, Audio, and
Digital works were featured.
Department of Studio Arts Achievement Award University of Pittsburgh 2013
- Selected by the faculty of the department in recognition of excellence and promise in the practice of art, as
well as leadership within the Studio Arts Department.
Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Dean's Award University of Pittsburgh 2013
- Use Blue, Think Green selected by representatives from the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Dean's
Presenter at ACC meeting of th Minds Conference Wake Forrest University, NC 2013
- Selected by the Provost's office to represent the University of Pittsburgh at the ACC Meeting of the Minds
Conference to present my body of artwork from the current semester.
Healthy Artists Movie Poster Competition Pittsburgh, PA 2013
- Selected as student artist to create promotional poster for the Healthy Artists Documentary Series. Poster has
been displayed in Modern Formations Gallery and the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh.
HAAARCH Poster Design Competiton University of Pittsburgh 2013
- First place design selecte by Director of History of Art and Architecture program as a promotional poster for
the annual exhibition.
Friends Select Young Alumni Presenter Philadelphia, PA 2012
- Works featured in Friends Select School Young Alumni Art Show. One painting and two architectural models
HAAARCH Presenter University of Pittsburgh 2012
- Selected works from architectural studios were featured.
- Presented on studying abroad through the context of my experience with DIS.
Danish Institute of Study Abroad Student Exhibition Copenhagen, Denmark 2011
- Selected models were shown at a public exhibiton at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant University of Pittsburgh
Teaching Assistant Sculpture Spring 2012
- Guided Students in concept, process, and construction. Held 10 shop/office
hours each week.
- Conducted presentations and demonstrations for tools, techniques and new
Teaching Assistant Introductory Architectural studio Fall 2011
- Critiqued each student weekly.
- Gave demonstrations in drafting and model-making.
Teaching Assistant Approaches to the Built Environment Fall 2012
- Introduced students to theoretical understanding of the relationship between
architecture and its cultural and historical context of the built environment.
- Mentored a group of five students: conducted field trips, gave guidance on
installation project, and discused course matierl and relevant contemporary precedents.
CAST (Community After School Tutoring) Pittsburgh, PA 2010
- Tutored and mentored high school students in East Liberty, Pittsburgh on a weekly basis
- Helped students with homework and mentored students on academic and life goal (ex.
college as an attainable goal for students coming from under-resourced communities).
Collegiate YMCA / Y-ABC Program Coordinator University of Pittsburgh 2010
- Coordinated and participated in an after school program for elementary school students in
the Hill District of Pittsburgh.
- Recruited students to volunteer in program and organized a unique curriculum for each visit.
University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA 2009-2013
- Bachelor of Arts
- Majors: Architectural Studies
Studio Arts (Program Honors)
Danish Institute of Study Abroad Copenhagen, Denmark Summer 2011
- Completed Architecture Studio and a course in Scandinavian Design Theory.
- Participated in study tours in Denmark, Norway, and Sweden for research and analysis of design precedents.
Ben's work investigates the relationship between the human condition and post-industrial society. The complexity of global economics, the proliferation of information technology, and the standardization of our physical environment all impact the human psyche. His work asks viewers to speculate on the relationship between their lifestyle and habitat.
Ben is from Philadelphia, PA and is a dual-citizen of both Germany and the USA. After graduating from the University of Pittsburgh with a double major in Studio Arts and Architectural Studies, Ben has spent time working in both the USA and in Switzerland working in architecture offices and as an artist.
Ben is currently in Pittsburgh, PA working as an artist in residence with Bunker Projects. Feel free to contact him here.