Ben's work investigates the relationship between the human condition and post-industrial society. The complexity of global economics, the proliferation of information technology, and the standardization of our physical environment all impact the human psyche. His work asks viewers to speculate on the relationship between their lifestyle and habitat.
Ben is from Philadelphia, PA and is a dual-citizen of both Germany and the USA. After graduating from the University of Pittsburgh with a double major in Studio Arts and Architectural Studies, Ben has spent time working in both the USA and in Switzerland working in architecture offices and as an artist.
Exhibitions / Honors
re-Production (Bunker Projects) Pittsburgh, PA 2015
- Solo-Exhibition at Bunker Projects in Pittsburgh, PA. Sculptural, Audio, and Digital works were featured.
Wet and Bound Together (Runaway Studios) Pittsburgh, PA 2015
- Solo-Exhibition at Runaway Studios in Pittsburgh, PA. Sculptural, Audio, and Digital works were featured.
Residual Conditions (UnSmoke Systems Artspace) Braddock, PA 2013
- Self-curated group show (featuring Gianna Paniagua and Christopher Cassady). Sculptural, Audio, and
Digital works were featured.
Department of Studio Arts Achievement Award University of Pittsburgh 2013
- Selected by the faculty of the department in recognition of excellence and promise in the practice of art, as
well as leadership within the Studio Arts Department.
Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Dean's Award University of Pittsburgh 2013
- Use Blue, Think Green selected by representatives from the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Dean's
Presenter at ACC meeting of th Minds Conference Wake Forrest University, NC 2013
- Selected by the Provost's office to represent the University of Pittsburgh at the ACC Meeting of the Minds
Conference to present my body of artwork from the current semester.
Healthy Artists Movie Poster Competition Pittsburgh, PA 2013
- Selected as student artist to create promotional poster for the Healthy Artists Documentary Series. Poster has
been displayed in Modern Formations Gallery and the Carnegie Library in Pittsburgh.
HAAARCH Poster Design Competiton University of Pittsburgh 2013
- First place design selecte by Director of History of Art and Architecture program as a promotional poster for
the annual exhibition.
Friends Select Young Alumni Presenter Philadelphia, PA 2012
- Works featured in Friends Select School Young Alumni Art Show. One painting and two architectural models
HAAARCH Presenter University of Pittsburgh 2012
- Selected works from architectural studios were featured.
- Presented on studying abroad through the context of my experience with DIS.
Danish Institute of Study Abroad Student Exhibition Copenhagen, Denmark 2011
- Selected models were shown at a public exhibiton at the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant University of Pittsburgh
Teaching Assistant Sculpture Spring 2012
- Guided Students in concept, process, and construction. Held 10 shop/office
hours each week.
- Conducted presentations and demonstrations for tools, techniques and new
Teaching Assistant Introductory Architectural studio Fall 2011
- Critiqued each student weekly.
- Gave demonstrations in drafting and model-making.
Teaching Assistant Approaches to the Built Environment Fall 2012
- Introduced students to theoretical understanding of the relationship between
architecture and its cultural and historical context of the built environment.
- Mentored a group of five students: conducted field trips, gave guidance on
installation project, and discused course matierl and relevant contemporary precedents.
CAST (Community After School Tutoring) Pittsburgh, PA 2010
- Tutored and mentored high school students in East Liberty, Pittsburgh on a weekly basis
- Helped students with homework and mentored students on academic and life goal (ex.
college as an attainable goal for students coming from under-resourced communities).
Collegiate YMCA / Y-ABC Program Coordinator University of Pittsburgh 2010
- Coordinated and participated in an after school program for elementary school students in
the Hill District of Pittsburgh.
- Recruited students to volunteer in program and organized a unique curriculum for each visit.